GENETICALLY MODIFIED ORGANISM (GMO)
GMOs are used to produce many medications, genetically modified foods and are widely used in scientific research and the production of other goods. GMO are plants used in agriculture, the DNA of which has been modified using genetically engineered methods with the aim of using an unnatural method to produce and introduce a new species of plant.
The legal and regulatory status of GMO foods varies by country, GMO farm produce are widely accepted by the agricultural world by some developing countries because of its resistance to pest and insects, while other countries with restrictions with some nations banning or restricting them, and others permitting them with widely differing degrees of regulation, frequent crop testing and special storage processes.
GMO products taking over the market with warm acceptance by the members of the public but it does not change the fact that they pose great risk to human health scientifically so the need for GMO products to be tested before use or introduction is important. The public lacks this vital information so they probably eat GMO product without the knowledge of the scientists results and the scientific risks attached to the product so they perceive it is safe.
A hybrid vegetable is created when plant breeders intentionally cross-pollinate two different varieties of a plant, aiming to produce an offspring, or hybrid, that contains the best traits(character) of each of the parents. This is done for the offspring to protect itself from the weather, diseases and insects. They are helped by natural elements like wind, water. Cross-pollination is a natural process that occurs within members of the same plant species. hybrid seed crop to be marketed extensively, and it is still the most important economic crop grown in the U.S. They have higher performance as most alleles code for different versions of a protein or enzyme, having two different versions of this allele amounts to having two different versions of the enzyme. This increases the likelihood of an optimal version of the enzyme being present and reduces the likelihood of a genetic defect. They all ripen simultaneously and can be more easily harvested from the farm. Humans adopted the use of hybridization because of the advantages. Protection from diseases and pests, Higher yield, Larger size of the fruits or vegetables, Shorter plant sizes, Faster growth and less yield time.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HYBRID AND GMO PLANT
- HYBRID is developed through controlled natural cross-pollination of two parent plants that can occur naturally while GMOs (Genetically Modified Organisms) are the product of species-crossing to create untested organisms that can never occur in nature to give crop and animal a new quality.
- HYBRIDS are crops developed in the field using natural low-tech methods while GMOs are crops created in a lab using highly complex technology, such as gene splicing.
- Provision of HYBRID crops are less expensive it only need the application of fertilizers and water during irrigation process while GMOs are expensive due to the sophisticated lab techniques.
- HYBRID crops taste good and offers beneficial dietary nutrients just like their parent while GMO crops pose serious threat to human and animal health, they have been completely banned in 19 countries within the European Union due to the study that was finally conducted by World Health Organisation(WHO), it found severe liver and kidney damage, as well as hormonal disturbance and large cancer tumours in the rats the rats feed GMO products.
- HYBRID crops do not contain any bacterial organisms while all GMO product contains the DNA of a bacteria that damages the digestive tract of whatever eats it.
- HYBRIDS provide advantages such as resistance to pest and diseases and increased farm productivity
- HYBRID contain natural nutrients needed in the body while GMOS contains glyphosate which can be found in urine and blood which causes birth defects.
Which one would you choose?
We are what we eat, your choice determines your health and the health status of the people around you. Knowing this few benefits and features of Hybrid and Genetically Modified Organisms the difference is clear to know the healthy and harmful food for consumption.